Summary: This comprehensive newsflash provides a call script and new procedures for inquiries from customers impacted by a Fairway privacy breach that occurred in August 2020 with letters mailed to impacted customers during March and April 2021.
Scroll down to view:
- Call handling tips
- Call scripting
- Procedure to request a customer call back from the Fairway Privacy Response Team
- Special handling if inquires requesting compensation are received
KnowledgeOwl has been Updated: For quick reference locating specific needed information for call and inquiry handling, these details are viewable in KnowledgeOwl for Interim Call Center and Servicing911 by clicking the Fairway Privacy Breach button and sectioned by topic. Click Here to view KnowledgeOwl.
Call Handling Tips: Personably identifying information for approximately 5,900 customers was compromised in August 2020. Fairway has identified impacted customers and is mailing letters advising them to contact Fairway. The phone number referenced is the Interim Servicing Call Center at (800) 201-7544.
The goals for Customer Experience team members to achieve during these calls include:
- Listen intently, express empathy and de-escalate customers who may be upset
- Reassure customers the letter received is a legitimate communication outreach from Fairway
- Inform customers of the five-years of complimentary credit monitoring Fairway is offering through Experian’s IdentityWorks service
- Obtain valid contact information and the best time of day for Fairway’s Privacy Response team to return calls to customers who request specific details and/or assistance enrolling in the IdentityWorks service
Approximately 440 notification letters were mailed last week (week of 03/29/2021).
- There were phone number and incident date discrepancies on those letters which have been corrected for the upcoming notice mailings
- The remaining letters will be mailed throughout the week of April 5, 2021
- Click Here to view samples of these letters in KnowledgeOwl
Call Scripting: Shown below is a script to use when speaking with customers impacted by this privacy breach.
“The letter you received is a legitimate and valid communication from Fairway Independent Mortgage Corporation. We are informing you of a breach of personably identifying information, including financial information. We recognize this situation can be concerning and we are offering important safeguards to provide you with key protections and important information you need. We sincerely apologize for any frustration or inconvenience this matter has caused.
(Note – if the customer received one of the inaccurate letters, please state: “We apologize for those minor errors which were present on a small population of letters, however the overall information and offer of free credit monitoring are valid.”)
If you have concerns regarding the validity of the letter, we ask you to reference the official Fairway Independent Mortgage Corporate website at www.fairwayindependentmc.com and refer to the “Contact Us” page where you will find the number you dialed, (800) 201-7544, under the “Loan Servicing” contact information.
Fairway is offering you an option to sign up for five years of complimentary credit monitoring – paid for by Fairway – through a service called IdentityWorks offered through Experian. The letter you received provides you the web address to enroll in Experian IdentityWorks and a unique activation code assigned specifically to you. Please review the information contained in this letter regarding details of the program, and you must enroll in IdentityWorks by June 30, 2021 using the activation code provided.
Fairway has a dedicated Privacy Response Team consisting of subject matter experts available to answer detailed questions you may have regarding this matter. They are also available to assist you with enrollment in the Experian IdentityWorks credit monitoring program.
Would you like for me to request an expert from our Privacy Response Team to call you?”
IF YES: “Great. Please provide me your contact phone number and the best time for our Privacy Response Team to return your call?”
[Obtain information from customer and repeat information back to customer to confirm accuracy]
“Thank you for providing this information. I am forwarding this request to the Privacy Response Team now, and you will receive a return phone call within the next 24 hours.
Please be advised that most of Fairway’s employees are working remote at this time, and the caller identification on the returned call from our Privacy Response Team may not display the name of Fairway Independent Mortgage Corporation.
If they reach your voicemail, they will provide their name and a direct phone number for you to call them back.”
IF NO: “Ok, and thank you. Please thoroughly read through the letter you received – if you have not already done so – as there are phone numbers and websites for additional resources you may find beneficial.
Fairway is committed to providing you the best assistance during this time, and please do not hesitate to call us back if you would like a Privacy Response Team specialist to further assist you.”
[Complete the call using established call flow procedures]
Procedure to Request a Customer Call Back from Fairway’s Privacy Response Team:
Fairway’s Privacy Response Team will return calls and speak with customers who have specific questions, request more details, or need assistance enrolling in the Experian IdentityWorks credit monitoring program.
Customers will receive a return call within 24 hours. Follow the applicable procedure listed below for requests received in the Call Centers and requests received in Servicing911:
Obtain the following pieces of information:
- Customer's name
- Loan number
- Preferred call back phone number
- Preferred best time for the Privacy Response Team to return the call
Email this information to: DW Schabbing, Danyell Williams and Debbie Kinnard
- Subject line: "Privacy Breach Callback - Loan Number _________"
- Body of email: Include customer contact information obtained for the callback
- Send email and inform customer they will receive a call back within 24 hours
- Document the Memos/Notes regarding the inquiry and a callback was requested
Reassign all tickets relating to this Fairway Privacy Breach to Tia Farmer.
- Tia will log and track detail on each loan and request a return call from the Privacy Response Team to the customer/loan officer
- The Privacy Response Team will inform loan officers when requested customer callbacks are complete
Special handling if Inquires Requesting Compensation are Received:
If loan officers or customers ask about any form of monetary compensation, explain you are not authorized to make decisions regarding that topic, and you will be referring the request to management for response.
- Do not initiate discussion about monetary compensation regarding this privacy breach, use this procedure only if the loan officer or customer asks
The original newsflash distributed on Friday April 2, 2021 is shown below for reference and specific details about the privacy breach
Please contact your supervisor or manager if you have any questions.